Quick and easy, with a great non-crust topping.
We admit we had doubts about the crust but it turned out great. It was nice to be able to make a pie without getting flour all over.
(For those of you having trouble with the topping, keep in mind that the butter/margarine needs to be cold -out of the fridge, not at room temperature – in order to make crumbs. Can’t go wrong with this one.
Prep: 25 minutes, Cook: 45 minutes, Ready: 1 hr 10 min
Original recipe makes 1 – 9 inch pie
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Fuji apples, cored and sliced
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Crust: In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, oil, milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and salt until evenly blended. Pat mixture into a 9 inch pie pan, spreading the dough evenly over the bottom and up sides. Crimp edges of the dough around the perimeter.
- To Make Filling: Mix together 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Spread evenly in unbaked pie shell.
- To Make Topping: Using a pastry cutter, mix together 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar and butter until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture. Sprinkle over apples.
- Put pie in the oven on a cookie sheet to catch the juices that may spill over. Bake 45 minutes.
adapted from allrecipes.com