A buttery coffee crumb mixture makes a shortbread-like crust for this easy, moist, and delicious snack cake. The coffee granules add a hint of mocha flavor but will still please those who don’t like coffee.
tip: be sure to line the pan with aluminum foil and then spray with cooking spray so the bars do not stick.
Yield: 1 (9″) coffee cake – double the recipe and use a 15×10 pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Combine flour and coffee granules in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt; stir well. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture into a lightly greased 9″ square pan; set aside.
- Combine sour cream and baking soda, stirring well. Add to remaining crumb mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add egg, stirring gently to combine. Pour sour cream mixture over crumb crust in pan; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool and cut into squares
recipe from: myrecipes.com