This past weekend, with it’s gorgeous mild weather, was a strong sign of the season to come – FALL!!! It’s time to break out the sweaters, plan the tailgate parties, and hunt down your favorite Seasonal Beer.
While summer is a time of pale ales and citrus notes, fall answers with pumpkin-flavored brews, darker ales, and—best of all—fresh hop beers. Everyone knows that fall is harvest time, and that goes for hops as well – over 90 percent of the world’s supply is harvested between the beginning of September and the end of October. While most of these hops are destined to be dried and frozen, a growing number of brewers are taking them fresh from the fields and crafting harvest ales, which capture the essence of these flavorful little flowers while they’re still brimming with tasty resin.
There is something for every beer lover—from pumpkin and spiced flavored ales to German-style Oktoberfest.
Harvest Ales – Ranging from brown ales to pale ales, these fall beers go wonderfully with roast beef, smoked salmon, and even spicy dishes. Try them with Gouda cheese too!
- DuClaw Euforia Toffee Nut Brown Ale – English Brown Ale variant is dark brown, medium-bodied, creamy, and incredibly flavorful! EuForia combines roasted malt with gourmet coffee to create a jubilant swirl of caramel, almond, and toffee flavors that will leave your palate in a state of ecstasy.
- Newcastle Brown Ale – This is an English-Style Brown Ale. This beer has a strong, malty taste, with hints caramel, toasted nuttiness, milled grain, a bit of toffee, & just a slight hint of cocoa.
Oktoberfest Beers – Oktoberfest beers are rich and full-bodied with a beautiful copper color and fantastic mild hops. Also known as Märzen style (March in German, the month the beer is brewed) beers, Oktoberfest beers are best enjoyed with grilled meats like poultry, seafood and sausage.
- Harpoon Octoberfest – Harpoon Octoberfest is a malty tribute to fall. It is a Marzen-style beer, brewed with abundant quantities of Munich, Chocolate, and Pale malts that provide a solid, full body and create the beer’s deep color. It is a rich, flavorful beer.
- Hofbräu Oktoberfest – Hofbräu brews a rich, full-bodied beer which goes down ideally with traditional Bavarian cuisine. It is an absolutely natural product; brewed from pure water, the best quality malt and exquisite hops.
- Flying Dog Dogtoberfest – Brewed with 100% imported German ingredients, it will cut spice while pulling out sweetness. Flavor notes: Full-bodied caramel sweet with a light toasted and crisp, clean finish.
- Sam Adams Octoberfest – Their version of this classic style blends hearty malts for a deep, smooth flavor with notes of caramel creating a brew that’s perfect for the season, or whatever you’re celebrating.
Pumpkin Flavored – Pumpkin beers are a true staple of the season. They are infused with distinct autumn flavors like nutmeg, ground ginger, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Brewed in a variety of methods, each pumpkin-brewed brand presents a unique concentration of flavor that ranges from a hint of pumpkin to bold taste.
- Magic Hat Pumpkin Ale – The Magic Hat Brewing Company has introduced Wilhelm Scream, it’s first-ever pumpkin ale that’s named for the iconic scream sound effect that’s been used in over 200 movies. Ripe with flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and caramel hops, this new beer signals the coming of chilling frosts and ghastly screams.
- Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale – Harvest Pumpkin is a medium-bodied ale with just enough carbonation to balance the rich caramel character. It is crafted with pumpkin and spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice for a taste you’ll want to fall right into.
Whether you explore Oktoberfests, pumpkin beers, or harvest ales it’s nice to know that fall can still be a season bursting with possibilities.