July 24th is National Jellybean Day.
That’s a bit surprising because Jellybeans so are heavily associated with Easter that we would have expected a celebration day in Spring instead of the middle of Summer. Oh Well. They taste just as sweet today.
Former President Ronald Reagan certainly helped make Jellybeans popular. He thought they were “out of this world”, so much so that he even sent Jelly Belly beans in outer space on the 1983 flight of the space shuttle Challenger.
Here are some other fun facts:
- They were the first candy to be sold by weight rather than by piece.
- The jelly bean is associated with Easter because of its egg-like shape.
- They were President Reagan’s favorite candy and he used them to help him quit smoking when he was the governor of California.
- It takes 7 to 21 days to make a jelly bean.
- The first appearance of what would become the modern day jelly bean was promoted to Union Soldiers during the Civil War