A healthy squash casserole recipe that is made with yellow squash, zucchini, a crunchy breadcrumb and Parmesan topping and then baked in the oven to crispy perfection! This easy summer squash and zucchini casserole is a wonderful side dish casserole recipe to serve up for summer picnics or at your Thanksgiving table!
Serving Size: 6
- 2 lbs summer squash zucchini and yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓cup Parmesan cheese* grated
- ⅓ cup Panko breadcrumbs gluten-free
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut yellow squash and zucchini into thin, ¼-inch slices.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt over the zucchini and squash slices. Let sit for 10 minutes and then dab to remove excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Alternatively, overlap the zucchini and squash in a row. (See pictures.) You should be able to form 4 rows.**
- Drizzle olive oil over the zucchini and squash and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Toss to combine and then sprinkle over the zucchini and squash.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and turn heat to a High broil. Broil for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until breadcrumb topping starts to turn a golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Recipe and photo credit: Evolvingtable.com