This dish is equally good at room temperature and easy to make it ahead.
• 1 garlic clove, halved
• 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
• 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut or torn into 1/2″ pieces
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound medium shell-shaped or other short pasta
Rub the inside of a medium bowl with garlic; discard garlic. Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and oil in bowl; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Let tomato mixture sit 15 minutes to let flavors meld.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain. Add pasta to tomato mixture and toss to combine.
DO AHEAD: Tomato mixture can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Bring mixture to room temperature before tossing with hot pasta.