This recipe is really good served over rice. But you can also make this in the crockpot (see variation below). Serve with some nice Italian bread and your favorite beer.
Prep: 25 mins, Cook: 35 mins, Ready in: 1 hr
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds Italian sausage links
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) bottles beer
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan, and set aside.
- Pour in 1 bottle of beer to deglaze the pan, scraping up any blackened bits from the bottom.
- Place the red peppers, green peppers, onions and garlic in the pan.
- Stir in the remaining beer and the tomato paste.
- Season with oregano, cilantro, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cover, and simmer until onions and peppers are tender.
- Slice the sausages into bite size pieces, and add to the peppers.
- Cover, and simmer until sausage is cooked through.
Crockpot Variation: Cut the sausage up first and brown it on the stove top. Put the sausage, onions, and peppers in the crockpot. Then make the sauce (beer, tomato paste, and seasonings) on the stove in the pan you used to brown the sausage. Added the sauce to the crockpot and cooked on low all day.
These are great as sandwiches!
adapted from: allrecipes.com