Frozen strawberries are added to the batter as well as to the butter cream frosting. The strawberries give the frosting such a pretty pink color with added speckles throughout the cake.
1 – box white cake mix (without pudding)
1 – (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1 – tablespoon flour
4 – teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 – cup vegetable oil
4 – eggs
1/2 – cup water
5 – ounces mashed frozen strawberries, thawed, drained (reserve any juice)
Strawberry Butter cream Frosting
1 – stick (1/2 cup) real butter, softened
1/4 – teaspoon clear vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar (1-16 oz box)
1/4 – cup mashed frozen strawberries with juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make the cake, combine the dry cake mix, gelatin, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Add the oil. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well (using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer) after each addition Add the water and strawberries and mix well.
4. Divide the batter evenly into two 9 x 1.5 inch or two 10 -inch round baking pans that have been greased and floured.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean and the layers pull away from the sides of the pan.
6. Transfer the layers from the oven to wire racks. Let them cool, still in their pans, for 10 minutes.
7. After 10 minutes, run a knife around the inside edge of each pan, then UN mold each layer onto the racks to cool completely.
8. To prepare the frosting beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, powdered sugar and strawberries with juice.
9. Beat until creamy (adding more sugar if the frosting is too thin).
If the frosting is too thick thin it out with milk (1 teaspoon) at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Frost cooled cake.
recipe from: mommyskitchen.net