Okay, we’re getting close now. Are you ready? Don’t lose it now, hang in there and let’s get some easy stuff out of the way and the big day will go off without a hitch.
So let’s recap:
One Month Prior:
1. Invite Your Guests
2. Plan Your Menu
Three Weeks Prior:
1. Get your gear ready
2. Create your Shopping List
Now the big day is 2 weeks away. Before you do anything else you must ORDER YOUR TURKEY!!!!! Stop everything and call us right now to place your order (301) 493-6217 and ask for the meat dept. Our Turkeys are local and fresh from Thurmont, MD.
Here’s an ordering tip. When selecting a turkey, it can be tricky to figure out exactly what size you need to purchase. Martha Stewart recommends approximately 1 1/2 to 2 pounds per person, but you can also use Butterball’s turkey calculator to get a recommended size specific to your guest list. And be certain the bird will fit in your freezer, fridge and oven!
Did you call? okay, then on to the rest…
- Polish silver. Wrap in tarnish-resistant silvercloth and set aside.
- Shop for any paper goods you need for the event.
- Take an inventory of your tablecloths and napkins.
- If any of your items need to be cleaned, do it now.
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer to make room for your Thanksgiving items. Cooking and freezing as much as possible now will save you time on turkey day. Clean out your freezer to make room for everything you’ll be putting in.
- Shop for nonperishable groceries on your shopping list.
- Stock up on staples (butter, sugar, flour, eggs) when grocery shopping.
- Make or purchase bread and rolls and freeze them for later.
- Make and Freeze Pie Dough, or an Entire Apple Pie. Make a few batches of pie dough now and freeze them; wrap the disks tightly in plastic wrap and thaw in the refrigerator overnight before you’re ready to use them — most pies can be made the day before Thanksgiving.
- Match up recipes with serving dishes and silverware. Drop 3×5 cards into each bowl and platter indicating which dish goes in each. (isn’t this an awesome tip!)
I know this list is a lot LONGER then the other two, but you can do it. And just think of all the time and stress you will be saving yourself in two weeks. You don’t have to do this alone. Get your family and friends to help out.
So don’t quit! You can do it!